WeSwim are looking for motivated and caring volunteers who are keen to make a difference by working with the disability community in London.
If that sounds of interest we are actively recruiting for volunteer positions. You do not have to be a strong swimmer, although being comfortable in the water is important and we will provide a comprehensive induction and ongoing training in working with swimmers with disabilities.
We are very appreciative of anyone who is willing to support WeSwim and disability swimming in London but we also need to ensure that the opportunity to volunteer is right for you and vice versa.
As such we have a structured recruitment process that will give you the opportunity to learn more of what would be expected of you, the type of people you will be working with and to see one of our sessions in action.
Dependent on the role that you are applying for, our recruitment process will include some or all of the following steps:
- Most roles will require an initial application form be completed.
- Don’t worry, these are typically brief forms where we hope to receive insight into your experience and motivations as succinctly as possible.
- You will have an opportunity to speak to us on the phone so we can get a better understanding of you and your motivation and you can ask us any questions about the role.
Face to face meeting & training
- Attendance at one of our training sessions where we will provide you with necessary guidance to work with our swimmers in and out of the pool.
- This session will also give you the opportunity to ask any questions and meet with other volunteers
- For roles that require close interaction with our swimmers then we will ask you to complete an Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Check form, which will need to be processed before you can start volunteering. We regret we cannot engage any volunteer who does not pass the Enhanced DBS Check.
- We will also ask you to register some additional details with us, including relevant consents and two character references.
- Assuming any required checks and references are passed then you will be able to commence your role!
- Whatever your role we don’t expect you to be an expert especially if you are working with our swimmers in the pool. We will pair you with swimmers and other volunteers to help you build your confidence.
- If you have any questions or concerns then we will be on hand to assist.
WeSwim Volunteer Opportunities
We are currently recruiting for a range of volunteer roles who can help to develop the wider WeSwim organisation and to support our new swimming community at Ironmonger Row Baths, Old Street.
For a description of each role click on the highlighted role titles in purple: